Wednesday, July 5, 2017

My Mom’s Adventurous Spirit

Dear MoM,

I wanted to thank you for changing my life.  Last year, when I asked you what you wanted to do for your birthday, I never dreamed that you’d suggest zip lining.  It was crazy, extreme, and so unlike you.  Or I guess I should say, it was unlike the old you, but I’m getting ahead in the story.  So, off we went to Trinity Adventure Park to go zip lining.  Both of us had a blast; whipping through the trees at high speeds, jumping off of a 60-foot platform into the void below, climbing across obstacles so thin and treacherous that certain death waited for us below.  But that’s not where it ended.  You wanted to do more…indoor sky diving, whitewater rafting, escape rooms, rock climbing…overnight, you had turned into Extreme Sports Mom!

Perhaps, you’re thinking that I am thanking you for adding a bit of fun and spice to my life.  And I am…partly.  Your simple birthday request awoke something inside me; an unquenchable need to live.  Since that day of adventure back in May of last year, I have worked my tail off to get back into shape again.  I have participated in the Breast Cancer 5K, the Heart Walk 5K, the Hot Chocolate 5K, the Dash Down Greenville St. Patrick’s 5K, the 200 Miles in 100 Days Challenge, and the Must Dash 5K.  Besides yourself, I have talked four other people into doing these races with me.

But your little stone in the pond has had even more ripples, because 6 months ago, I challenged my brother to compete in a Spartan Sprint with me.  Encouraging and pushing each other through competition, we both did something that neither one of us ever thought we could.  We pushed our bodies to the breaking point, and we came out victorious.  But it didn’t stop there.  We were so fired up by the Spartan Sprint, that we signed up to do another one in a couple of months.  And this time, we have a team of seven other people to do it with us.

So, you see, Mom, I want to thank you for being courageous enough to take that first step with me.  Your adventurous spirit has already changed the lives of 13 other people.  You have gotten us off the couch and out into the world.  You have shown us that there is more to life than watching TV every night.  You have given us something to live for each day.  I hate to imagine what the last year would have been like if you hadn’t answered my question about your birthday with the most unexpected two words I ever thought to hear.  Zip Lining.

I love you, Mom, for all that you are.  And thanks for helping me see that there is more to me than even I knew.

1 comment:

MoM said...

Thank you for the tribute.....I can't remember having more fun than I did that day....if you remember, I couldn't stop smiling, even when I was exhausted! Thank you for taking the time to give your MoM a memory that will never be forgotten, and for challenging me to zip line across the crocodile pond when I go to Australia. Can't wait to continue our bucket list of things.....should be interesting! Love you too!
MoM