Friday, December 22, 2017

Scottish Me

So, you know how when you hear your voice on a recording, you sound differently than you do to your own “ears”?  Medically speaking, this is because you aren’t normally hearing your voice with your ears.  You’re hearing it through the vibrations traveling through your jawbone up to your ear bones.  So, you’re technically hearing a purer version of yourself than everyone else is, because they’re getting the distorted version of your voice…the voice that has had to travel through the air; through pollution, and molecules, and other people’s voices floating in the way.

Well, a while back, I was recording myself singing, because I wanted to see if I sounded as good to everyone else as I do to me.  Which was a great big, fat “negative, Ghost Rider.”  I vowed never to sing again.  This commitment lasted all of about 20 min, when I decided that it was probably more practical to not record me singing anymore.

Well, today, I took it a step further.  I was sitting here wondering if me doing an accent or impersonation actually sounded differently to everyone else as well.  And you know what?  IT DOES!  If the recording is anything to go by, then I, in fact, sound even better doing an accent to everyone else!  You’re welcome. 

My Scottish voice sounded better on the recording than it did to my own ear bones.  I thought I was authentic.  I may never speak in a normal voice again.  Then again, maybe I’ll try other accents and see how those go.  I might be onto something here!

No comments: